Friday, March 12, 2010

Ahhh Single Parenthood...

I'm not sure we ever explicitly explained what our current situation is... After much searching in the upstate area for any job remotely related to wildlife biology, and after expanding our search to Columbia and North Carolina, I came across a really random job posting. There was no employer listed, and no job description. It simply said they were looking for a biologist/geologist. So two days later Adam got his career consultant (me) to update his resume, type up a cover letter, and send it in for him. I need a raise... anyway, they gave him a call the very next day and scheduled an interview for the following week. They made him an offer on the spot and two days later he accepted. There was a big bonfire to burn a lot of Trutech shhhh-tuff(remember, this is a family friendly blog), including all of the clean shirts, returning only the dirties. Try as we may to erase any and all traces of Trutech ever in our lives, little reminders continue to pop up around our house. But one day... one day... it will all be gone. In the meantime, Adam is loving his new job, and he's treated like a human being again. It's wonderful.

So... Adam is currently living with my sister and her husband during the week, and we get to see him on the weekends. You would think this would get easier as time goes on, but everytime he leaves it is only harder. The weekends are just never long enough - not that they ever were. Adam is the only person John Dickson will talk to on the phone, and he loves to call Daddy to say night night and give him tons of phone kisses. When Adam is gone, I get to be the favorite for a few days, but when he's back, its back to Daddy.

I was a little concerned about the work week single parenthood thing, but so far it has been really great. The greatest challenge is just logistics. Keeping a house ready to show with 2 indoor dogs and a John Dickson is a full time job in itself. That on top of working busy season and devoting approximately 10 hours a day to feeding myself and Henry has kept me busy. After work we come straight home and its dinner, bath and bed. I never realized before how much I took quick trips to the grocery store or to run other errands for granted. I try to limit that to Thursday nights now as that is pretty much the designated skip bath night. Today at work I had a deadline that was down to the wire, and had to pick up Bear from the vet and John Dickson from school. I got to both places with minutes to spare. Today was the first time I really didn't know how it was going to work... but it did.

"Family dinner" is definitely not a nightly occurrence in our household and we're lucky to hit it twice a week. John Dickson is usually so hungry by the time he gets home that its impossible to cook a meal. So he usually eats his own thing and then Adam and I eat after he goes to bed. With Adam gone, I usually am just warming up leftovers and so John Dickson and I eat together almost every night. I definitely wish Adam was there, but its nice for John Dickson not to eat alone. After we are living together again that is definitely something to work on!

So... when will we be living together again? In a few weeks I do hope! There has been a lot of talk about me going back to Blanchard, but everything is very up in the air right now. If they aren't able to bring someone on, then I'll be keeping my current job and hopefully living in Columbia - although I imagine that would be a lot of back and forth. I guess it also depends on the daycare situation. We think we've finally found a place - a lady who keeps kids in her home, but she can't even guarantee she has room. I really know very little about my life. Good thing Im not a worrier, huh? Well, except I worry about death more than normal. That's sorta a problem.

So, if you are still with me at the end of this long winded post... Bear had his biopsy done today. The vet took a wedge from his nose and two round spots from both of his ears. Bear did very well, and his blood work came back great. The anesthesia didn't seem to affect him too much, as he wolfed down a hamburger when he got home. Henry too. A sympathy hamburger. I. eat. all. day. long. We should have the results from the biopsy by the end of next week.

We've got a busy weekend planned, including shopping for a birthday present for someone turning two in a few weeks. TWO! Can you believe it? Two... So until next time...

1 comment:

  1. I feel like a single parent most of the time, too. Ryan usually doesn't get home from work until 7:30pm or later so we never have family dinners either. I can't imagine not seeing him at all during the week though, hang in there!

    I didn't realize y'all were moving. Good luck with everything and I hope it all works out!

    ReplyDelete