Thursday, December 10, 2009

4 Years Ago Today... (and some change...)

Disclaimer: This is long winded, and here mainly as a way for me to remember an important day

I was going to wait until December 23rd to do this post, but I know me, and I know I will absolutely not be thinking about blogging on the day before Christmas Eve :-) 4 years ago today (and some change), Adam and I were at my good friend and old roommate's wedding up in Clemson. I wanted to wait until the bride and groom left, but Adam seemed to be in a hurry to leave. This was irritating, but not quite as irritating as the excuse he gave... he claimed his mom wanted to see Bear. Who could have blamed her, by the way? But when you are at a dear friend's wedding... it hardly seems worth leaving for! So after much back and forth, I gave in, and we called it an early night, trucking it back to Columbia.





We stopped by my parents' house to pick up Bear, and then headed over to the Kelley's. I decided this would be a good time to give them their Christmas gifts, and then I became a chatter box and chatted away about who knows what. Little did I know, everyone else was starting to stress a little bit about the house that was soon to catch on fire from all of the unattended candles upstairs, but I just continued to babble.





Adam had gone to New York the week before and told me he had gotten me 3 presents, A, B, and C. When I asked him what the best present was, he told me B. He also told me that that night he was going to give me present B. As it turns out, there was really a D present as well, and that night I got B and D. Adam took me upstairs to give me B, and while I consider myself a very intuitive person who is nearly impossible to surprise, I was blind as a bat as to what was happening. We walked into the room, filled with roses, candles, champagne and some sort of chocolate truffles (which I refused to eat or throw away... they are probably really disgusting now, but they've still got a long life ahead of them). We walk into the room, and I simply say... "Nuh uh..."





When I see other people get engaged or married (whether in real life or on tv), I ALWAYS cry. No matter how many times Chandler proposes to Monica, I still boo hoo. And don't even get me started on his speech about how Monica is a mother without a baby... just bring me some tissues. HOWEVER, I have decided that when events take place in my own life, there are no tears. I do, however, shake. Adam made me sit down so that I wouldn't fall over. When we got married, I teared up and cried A LOT whenever I would hear a song on the radio that would make me think about marrying Adam. I thought I was going to be a WRECK, but instead, I just shook. Like a leaf. Lauren was on standby to catch me. I did not even know I was shaking... So, on December 23, 2005, I believe I let a few people down by neither screaming nor crying, but man did I shake. When I cant eat caramel apple cheesecake or drink champagne due to severe shakes, that is how you know that this is one of the best moments of my life.





Adam proceeds to tell me that he has loved me since the 8th grade and has always known he wanted to marry me. And some other stuff that I absolutely do remember... mm hmm... He got down on one knee, and in front of me was the most perfect ring. I never spoke a word to him about anything I wanted in a ring, on the off chance that he had a family heirloom. While I really really really didn't want a tear shaped diamond, I would have adored it if it was a ring that was special to him and wouldn't want him to ever think otherwise, so I just kept my mouth shut. I majorly lucked out, or maybe he just knew me as well as I had hoped... brilliant solitaire... perfection. I couldn't have picked a better ring myself. And I am definitely not just saying that. However, I did tell Adam that I wanted white gold. He even got his Clemson ring in white gold so that it would one day go with his wedding band, which would, of course, match mine. So you can imagine my surprise when the setting was yellow gold. I was surprised, but I loved that ring every bit as much. Then Adam turned on the light, and I realized my eyes had deceived me, and this was in fact a white gold ring. Is he the best or what?





He then calls me his fiance, and he says "as of December 22, 2005, we are engaged!"




Umm... babe, its the 23rd.

No comments:

Post a Comment