Wednesday, June 10, 2009

How many posts am I allowed to name "Yep, still here!"

As usual, sorry for being so slack, yadda yadda yadda....

I am currently training in Raleigh and am in the middle of my longest separation from my doodle bug yet. It's (full) day 3, with 2 nights (1 more full day) to go. I hope I can make it. In the meantime, to cope, I have gone to the mall across the street and visited Janie and Jack. 3 times now. Unfortunately, the same girl was working every time. And she knows my name now. I thought I had escaped her tonight until I heard someone ask me how much longer I was in town. Whoops! Something about looking at really sweet baby clothes is therapeutic. John Dickson will be sporting a super sweet little romper when I get home. Don't tell Adam. Need to know... you understand... I had to majorly talk myself out of hedging my bets and buying our precious niece or nephew some spring clothes. I'm hoping John Dickson fits in 18 or 24 month clothes as long as possible, as the clothes get exponentially less cute when you pass that mark. On the otherhand, a very tiny part of me wishes John Dickson was a little bit older, because there is a store here that has the world's largest gummy bears (The biggest is $30, with a smaller, yet still huge size for $10). I would so love to bring John Dickson back one!

Apparently I have already missed some pretty cute stuff - with such a cute subject, how could I not, right? Adam caught John Dickson dancing on top of the air conditioning grate and cracking up as the air blew up his shorts. I accidentally brought Adam's truck key with me to Raleigh, so he borrowed our neighbors car, and John Dickson also thinks that that car is hilarious. Apparently he laughs the whole way home. (See below) We've been really blessed to have great neighbors who help us out a lot! It is a lot more difficult than we could have guessed to have no family within 2 hours.
John Dickson also got to go out for a Daddy/John Dickson bonding dinner at Chick Fil A, where John Dickson got his first CFA kids meal, and had his first experience with french fries. He ate every bite. Then they went to the grocery store where Adam raced the cart up and down the aisles, much to John Dickson's delight. He said he had a few near collisions, but "didn't care - John Dickson was laughing!!" John Dickson is a huge mommy's boy, but when I am gone, Daddy is the cat's meow. And loving it, of course! It makes it easier to be gone, knowing that it really is a great bonding experience for my boys. Here are some of the pictures I've gotten so far this week -

This picture is John Dickson eating his breakfast at school. Look at my big boy eating his yogurt with a spoon! Come on now, could he get any more precious?

You can look but you cant pinch!!!

Aside from being out of town... John Dickson turned 14 months last month! He has come a long way just since his birthday... he is doing so well with feeding himself! He can actually climb up into his high chair, turn around, and sit down, all by himself. I have to be careful to wash his high chair tray and put it back immediately so he can't climb up unsupervised! We also have had to start closing the bathroom doors, for 2 reasons.

1) I was putting away John Dickson's clean clothes one day when John Dickson left me. I went to go get him, and found him with a Coke Zero can that had been in the bathroom trash (another new no-no). And yes, he was swishing it in the toilet. Which already had a tennis ball in it. No kidding people, this all happened in about 2 minutes.

2) That little dude can get into the bathtub all by himself! He is a climbing fool!

John Dickson also tried to climb his bookcase. I moved all of his books off because they were too tempting on the shelf they were on, and I didn't want to entice him to climb. But with the books gone, the shelf looked more like a platform than a place to house books, so it had the opposite effect. I was sitting on the floor playing with John Dickson when he decided to step into one of his baskets (on the bottom shelf) to reach the shelf that use to have his books. I was trying to pry his little hands off when the bookshelf suddenly started toppling forwards. Fortunately I was kind of over John Dickson, and he was completely fine. And I survived piggy banks in the head and picture frames on the funny bone. The bookcase is now gone.

John Dickson also LOVES to talk on the phone. He has always loved playing with our phones, but he has all of a sudden started to imitate us on the phone. He holds the phone face down on his shoulder and cocks his head to the side and walks around chatting. It's too funny! He really sounds like he is having a conversation with somebody.

John Dickson is also trying to put his shoes on, with absolutely no luck. He is no longer walking, but running! We try to put the dogs' water up while they are outside, but if we forget and John Dickson spots it, he takes off cackling in anticipation, and then splashes as hard as he can until we catch him. It may sound from this particular post that we are inattentive parents, but we are simply just slower than our baby hurricane.

John Dickson has been playing in his pool and his water table, and if the water is warm enough, he really enjoys it! He especially likes to get wet and then go play in the dirt. Which is ok with mommy! Little boys are supposed to be dirty... its a pretty good indication they are having fun. He does, however, get an early bath on those days, or at least a good rinsing off in the sink (which he LOVES).

John Dickson also has experienced the detachable shower head in the bath. Adam was spraying his back and John Dickson had his hands behind his head, and just kind of leaned his head back and grinned, as if he was getting a spa treatment or something. He has also done this when I have scratched the top his back. To be honest, I don't know how much more I can handle typing tonight. The more I go on, the more homesick I get! If you're still with me, you're probably getting tired of reading too!

I promise many more posts in the weeks to come, as I have the next 4 weeks home with John Dickson. It'll be the perfect farewell to my part time arrangement. Sadly, yes, I will be back to full time.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment