Monday, September 29, 2008

Daycare... Ugh

So I was doing pretty good about John Dickson starting daycare this morning - didnt even cry! Adam and I had been joking about John Dickson being nervous or excited about his first day of "school," and when I opened the door to get John Dickson out of the car, he just had this huge grin on his face and let out a big squeal. It was like the moment hed been waiting for had finally arrived... he's quite good at the comedic timing.

So I took him in and said he would be in the 6-12 month room (he turns 6 months in 6 days...), but they had him down as in the 0-6 month room. For anyone that knows me and knows how much I struggle with simple changes such as a new seat at the kitchen table, this was not the best news. I did, however, think it might be to his advantage, as there were fewer babies in there, and the babies who were there were so young I figured they would sleep more... allowing John Dickson to have more attention. There was one lady in there, with a 2nd one on the way, and she was probably in her 60s or so. She told me to feel free to stop by anytime or to call and check on him. At lunch I called, and the conversation went like this...

"Hi, this is Amanda Kelley, John Dickson's mom"
"Who???"
"John Dickson's mom"
"Oh. Does he have a pacifier?"
"He wont take one... how is he doing?"
"He's still new. He'll learn."
The end.

The laid back mom in me vanished in an instant and I burst into tears... at work... it was lovely. For starters, I had filled out an information sheet with his feeding schedule, nap schedule, and special instructions. It asked if he took a paci and when, to which I answered no. Apparently it never made it back to the infant I room... Secondly, when a mom leaves her 6 month old with a stranger for the first time, the proper response is "Hello". NOT "Where is his paci?". Poor little man... So far, Daycare 1 John Dickson 0.

No comments:

Post a Comment